Hydroponic Tower

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I'm planning to do some of the tray type hydroponics in the greenhouse this year, but my wife saw some of the hydroponic towers on a show recently and was interested in doing some. I started researching and found many of the ones in the $140 - $200 range are only about 18' - 20" tall overall. I also kept seeing 3d printed ones on etsy for sale, so started looking around thingiverse and found several designs.

I settled on this one as it was most like the one she saw on the gardening show.

I started printing parts last night, starting with the largest one. Took 14 hours to complete, but came out well.
IMG_1130.jpeg

The design uses 2" net pots, and all the parts interlock to create the water tube up the middle of the structure.
IMG_1131.jpeg IMG_1132.jpeg

There is a piece at the top that acts as a rain shower for water to drizzle down to all the pot below.
IMG_1133.jpeg

Can print more or less of the main modules to make it taller or shorter.

I'm estimating I could do about 5 of the pot holders (15 net pots) and all the other parts out of one roll of filament. I'll probably go a little higher, like 10 of them for a total of 30 net pots. I may have to also paint them to cut down on algae growth inside.

Do you have any concerns about the porosity of the prints? I know some of the stuff I've printed for use with water before tended to leak a lot, unless I hit it with either a clear coat or some paint.

The water falls straight down and any that does get through should sit on the bucket lid. I do think I could get some algae growth in it, which I may just paint the outside ibefore using.

That is really cool - BUT - you gotta stop showing me what a 3D printer can do. I have enough on my plate already.

I am interested in hydroponics - bucket list
Honestly I’m surprised you haven’t given in to the force, the will is strong with you…lol

You already understand the cnc part of it, so easy transition and be able to prototype what you’re designing quickly. Then there is all the things that you don’t have to run to the store or Amazon to buy you can just print. :stick::D

Honestly I’m surprised you haven’t given in to the force, the will is strong with you…lol

You already understand the cnc part of it, so easy transition and be able to prototype what you’re designing quickly. Then there is all the things that you don’t have to run to the store or Amazon to buy you can just print. :stick::D
I'm with Darren, The barrier to get into it is pretty low at this point. I honestly print things all the time, not just special projects.

I used the 30w soldering iron to set brass M3 threaded inserts into the pockets for assembly.
IMG_1193.jpeg

The 2” net pots also arrived after a few weather delays.
IMG_1192.jpeg

Can see how they extend out inside to catch some of the water dripping down inside.
IMG_1194.jpeg

Still have a couple more sections to print, but will get the parts added to a bucket and lid.

Had a power outage the other night about 13 hours into this print.
IMG_1186.jpeg

Rather than waste the part, I measured the completed height of it, then changed the z position to be minus the height of the completed section, this allowed me to print the rest to glue on.
Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 10.27.13 AM.png

Took a bit to get them printed, the element in the hot end went bad and needed to swap and re-calibrate the printer before I could print. I at least had one on hand, the first one was the original and has lasted several years and several hundreds of prints.

I got the tower mounted to the bucket lid today and tried it out.
IMG_1214.jpeg

There are several drips coming out of the joints, but the bucket/tower wasn’t level. I’ll drill a few drain holes in the lid to collect the leaked water back into the bucket either way.

I also got seeds planted in some mineral wool blocks today, will see how this experiment does.